“I have been and still am a seeker, but I have ceased to question stars and books; I have begun to listen to the teaching my blood whispers to me.”
I believe Hermann Hesse to be one of the greatest writers of all time. He is perhaps most well known for his Buddhist allegory “Siddhartha”, which is perhaps a curse to his name seeing as it’s one of the weakest of his works.
It would be better for us to see “Siddhartha” as just another work a midst’s the masterpieces in his library. In it’s stead, let’s focus on the stellar examples of literature that are “Steppenwolf”, “Narcissus and Goldmund”, and “The Glass Bead Game”. These novels not only entertain and are superbly written, they will open the crannies of your mind to not only new thoughts, but new ways of thinking.
Through these works, we invite Mr Hesse into our minds, and through them he plants and tends to seeds of thought so foreign to most people of today impossible for me to describe without you having read and understood them first.
I think of Hesse as a fighter. Not violent, though he did fight against the creative tyranny of the Nazi’s in his own way. I think of Hesse of a fighter of the human mind and spirit. Perhaps this is why he seems to me to have been at war within himself at times, because he cared so deeply for the soul, for joy, and even for suffering.
View all posts in this series
- Eight Amazing Novels You Should to Read to Become a Better Writer - April 7, 2013
- Book Review – Perdido Street Station by China Mieville - May 15, 2013
- On Hermann Hesse - June 18, 2013
- The Cat Piano, a Sultry and Lyrical Animated Short Film - October 1, 2013
- 10 Badass Quotes from Wise Man’s Fear by Patrick Rothfuss - October 3, 2013
- 15 Hillarious, Insightful & Moving Quotes by Kurt Vonnegut - October 30, 2013
- Celebrating some of the cool authors I met at The Indie Book Fair - June 16, 2014
- Reading Fight Club 10 Years Later: Or, I am the Louvre - August 5, 2014
- Oh Captain, My Captain: Or How Robin Williams Inspired Me - August 12, 2014
- Top Six Best Steampunk Books, Movies & Games - October 7, 2014
- The Top 3 Books to Read to Become a Self Publishing Superstar! [2015 Edition] - October 20, 2014